apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: On to APR 2.0.0? Beyond 9x/ME
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:47:29 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Branko ─îibej wrote:
>
>> Oh, certainly. Except that sometimes the "just" is a pretty big one. I
>> remember once ... well, to make a long story short, control over pool
>> lifetime wasn't, and we ended up jumping through several Klein bottles
>> to get there.
>
> Unless I am not following something, you control the pool lifetime.

Not if you have no control of pool cleanup order, which is exactly what
happens when you try to allocate long-lived structure in a DSO; the way
we do pool cleanup guarantees that the DSO gets unloaded before any
global pools are cleaned up.

You could say that the answer is "don't do that", but sometimes there's
no other option.

-- Brane