apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: On to APR 2.0.0? Beyond 9x/ME
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:12:26 GMT
Branko ─îibej wrote:

> Oh, certainly. Except that sometimes the "just" is a pretty big one. I
> remember once ... well, to make a long story short, control over pool
> lifetime wasn't, and we ended up jumping through several Klein bottles
> to get there.

Unless I am not following something, you control the pool lifetime.

If you wanted pure emulation of malloc and free, with no pool hierarchy,
just create one global pool, and then create a subpool every time you
want to do malloc, and destroy that subpool every time you want to do
free. Because all of your subpools have no relationship with one another
(apart from being created from the global pool, which would last the
applications' lifetime), lifetime is no longer an issue.

Regards,
Graham