apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject [WIN32] Using WSAPool for Vista+
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 09:25:15 GMT
Hi,

Vista (Server 2008) and up comes with new winsock WSAPoll API.
Now I did some experiments and it compiles the unix/pool.c
by simply changing poll( ... ) to WSAPoll(...)

There is also no limitation on pollset size (currently
select is limited to FD_SETSIZE 1024, cause it's too slow
for higher numbers). Well, the testpoll.c passes
with 16K sockets.
Httpd works like a charm with 10K connections.

Now the problem is that to be able to use it,
we would need a pollset implementation
provider that will dynamically switch back to select in case
winsock doesn't defines WSAPoll.

That makes me think we can have that generic, allowing
different pollset providers for non-windows platforms
as well (If it makes sense of course), eg. something
like we have for proc_mutex.
(apr_proc_mutex_unix_lock_methods_t would actually become
  apr_poll_methods_t allowing choosing different
  poll providers, again where it makes sense)

Regards
--
^(TM)