apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: APR-izing httpd's unixd_set_proc_mutex_perms
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 07:29:57 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
>> Long time since initial proposal, but here it is.
>> Since there was no objections I'll commit this into trunk.
>
> Does this API imply that the developer has to manage the resources
> to be converted by uid/gid?
>
> If so, I suspect you are ignoring others who the primary author is
> unaware of.
>
> The right API, IMHO, is to register a list of resources to be
> converted *to whatever target uid/gid* will be used after fork.
> Why should the author track these?

Make sense, but IMO as an additional API.
We shouldn't make limit to set the object owners
during fork only. A simple client server where
server is running as root and client accessing its
shared memory won't need to fork in all cases.

I presume you were thinking of list of callbacks
that could be registered to apr_procattr_t and
called after the fork is done, with its uid/gid.

Regards
--
^(TM)