apr-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Poirier <poir...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: APR: Portable across Operating Systems, or Libraries?
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:16:15 GMT

Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> writes:
> Then, there is the age-old answer, "those edge cases can stick to APR
> 1.x and HTTPD 2.x." Modern operating systems would use APR 2.x and
> HTTPD 3.x.

(Aside: let's not confuse non-mainstream with non-modern.)

I think wide portability is one of Apache's big advantages, even if not
every supported platform has a 90% market share.  If I were choosing a
web server to use on a non-mainstream platform, I'd rather choose one I
was already familiar with, or that once I learned it, I could apply that
knowledge elsewhere, than one unique to that platform.

I also believe portable code tends to be better code.

--
Dan Poirier <poirier@pobox.com>