apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject APR: Portable across Operating Systems, or Libraries?
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:38:48 GMT
When thinking about 2.0, I'm having a hard time with the idea of
pulling apr-util into regular apr. We've got a lot of stuff in
apr-util that has nothing to do with "Portability". Basically, I see
apr-util doing one of two types of things:

* common API to access functionality (dbd, ldap, crypto)
* useful functionality built on APR

I think it would be great if we could concentrate on just a core APR
that offers OS portability, and that we also jettison "edge" platforms
(keep posix and windows only). And that we trim out functionality
(i.e. apr_tables) that have nothing to do with portability (tho we
keep pools as a lifetime mgmt capability for OS objects).

Thoughts?

Cheers,
-g