apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: APR: Portable across Operating Systems, or Libraries?
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:59:34 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> That's not what started it. I think that APR is outside of its scope,
> and wanted to ask about getting back to basics: provide platform
> portability, not APIs for third-party libraries.

Forking on this note.  I believe that if we can abstract concepts (dbd,
for example) in a way that lets /users/ go with more than one solution
to a problem, it's a good thing.

In fact, it's my motiviation to look at IBM's ICU and decide what's wrong
with the apr_xlate wrapper - it shouldn't echo iconv, it should provide
a simple API that happens to use either iconv or ICU or ... the only real
requirement being the ability to stream transliterations (which Microsoft
APIs frankly suck at).