apr-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Comstock <st...@trainersfriend.com>
Subject Re: SCons Updates... 2
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:58:52 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 13:24, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 5:31 AM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Check for ebcdic? Are we *really* going to continue support for that?
>>> Seriously, folks.
>> What is the better criteria?
>> * offends sensibility of at least one APR contributor
>> * actively used by and depended on by multiple APR contributors (and may be
>> a partial sponsor of the warm, dry environment necessary for APR hacking,
>> though that's probably a difficult determination to make for certain)
>
> If it is still being used, then... well, geez.  *shudder*
>
> And in response to your question, "duh. not like I have any super-vote
> here. just opening a discussion."
>
> Cheers,
> -g

Greg,

I'm just a lurker here, and I am also a mainframe bigot.

I'd like to point out a few things about IBM mainframes
and in particular z/OS, then I'll go back to lurking.

Of course you know modern mainframes have hardware
instructions that process data in ASCII and Unicode
(UTF-8, UTF-16, and UTF-32), IEEE binary floating
point, IEEE decimal floating point, and other
instructions that can easily convert data between
little endian and big endian for portability, and
more.

You're aware that mainframes can run Linux, either
natively or under z/VM.

I'm sure you acknowledge that z/OS still processes
a huge percent of corporate, customer, and government
data in the largest organizations.

Did you know you can run UNIX under z/OS? That z/OS
comes with a free HTTPD server? That IBM recently
made available a port of Apache to run under z/OS,
as a no-charge product? Of course, Java, C, and C++
are available under z/OS. But even more mundane
languages such as Assembler, COBOL, and PL/I on
z/OS support Unicode, XML, and the ability to
create, say, CGIs. While accessing DB2, a fully
relational database that also supports Unicode,
XML, and LOB data objects natively.

At the same time, code that was written 35 years
ago continues to run with no recompile or relink.
Now that's code reuse!

I find all that pretty impressive. Here's a link to a
paper on this:

   http://www.trainersfriend.com/Papers/Future_of_Mainframe.pdf

or for a list of several papers I've written that are
mainframe centric:

   http://www.trainersfriend.com/General_content/Book_site.htm

But, of course, we're not here to start any relgious wars.
I'll just go back to lurking now.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

   z/OS Application development made easier
     * Our classes include
        + How things work
        + Programming examples with realistic applications
        + Starter / skeleton code
        + Complete working programs
        + Useful utilities and subroutines
        + Tips and techniques

==> Check out the Trainer's Friend Store to purchase z/OS  <==
==> application developer toolkits. Sample code in four    <==
==> programming languages, JCL to Assemble or compile,     <==
==> bind and test.                                         <==
==>   http://www.trainersfriend.com/TTFStore/index.html    <==