apr-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Henriksen <gordonhenrik...@me.com>
Subject Re: Porting to APR failed
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:13:30 GMT
On 2009-01-22, at 09:19, Andreas Otto wrote:

>  Some days ago I finally start to do this job ... but today I got a
> massive
>  disappointment ...
>
>  You ask why ?
>
>  It's the UNIX Domain Socket issue !!!
>
> [rant snipped]
>

> Now my offter -> You support UDS until 5 Feb 2009 and I'll use your
> library

Hello Andreas,

Please remember that this is an open source project and that you are
addressing a team of volunteer contributors, all of whom have
different priorities from you. Unless they happen to be in your
employ, you have no standing to demand anything of any of them. If you
need a feature, you have several straight-forward options to get it
implemented:

  1. Do it yourself.
  2. Pay someone to do it for you.
  3. Try to convince someone that it is important.

It seems to me that your message is counterproductive to any of these.

If upstream actively does not want the feature, as may be the case
here, you have again options. You can maintain a patch locally, which
APR makes quite practicable and entirely legal. You can branch the
product. You can work around the limitation in your own codebase. Or,
of course, you can opt not to use the product at all.

APR already provides abstractions for features which may not be
available on all platforms, so I would share your surprise if a
thoughtfully implemented patch providing Unix-domain socket support
were rejected. However, such a patch must exist before it can be
rejected.

Thank you,
Gordon