apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Apache *PORTABLE* Runtime?
Date Thu, 25 Dec 2008 04:22:10 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:
> Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>> Paul Querna wrote:
>>> I agree, and the interesting bit is that 95% of that patch is to
>>> autoconf, making it auto-detect stuff better, the portability is
>>> already there in the C code.
>> Whats the deal with cygwin on Vista ?  I'm at least 'decent' with
>> autoconf, but I think vista is in the way of me doing anything.  In
>> the rare cases that I'm on windows its definitely something I want there.
>>
>> I know I've compiled subversion 1.4.x from source there at one point.
>>

> Cygwin is a whole different ballgame.
>
> IMO, MinGW+MSYS is the way to go, since we already have native win32
> code, there is no reason for another semi-broken indirection layer like
> Cygwin to just get in the way.

So is vista, however.  I see some incredibly bizarre behavior out of what
are supposed to be "command line" invocations.  I want them to fail, not
to raise GUI exception warnings.

That said, you need to turn off UAC if you want to work around this garbage.
As I'm trying to ensure that httpd etc will work "in spite of" UAC, I've
left it on, but disabling it will get you quite a bit further.

Bill