Will:

Sure, I'll test that in production as soon as I have the chance  (might be a little while -- big push on right now).  I just noticed that my production boxes are running 1.3.41 as well, so the patch should slide in pretty good.

These days I've been seeing about 1 hang every 2-3 weeks.  When we had slower hardware, it happened more often. Same thing when stuff gets busy.... so I'd better get the patch in before the Christmas break -- we normally record pretty big peaks when the ball drops on New Year's eve.  I'll patch it to call "/bin/apr-sh" or something like that, and flip apr-sh at the filesystem level  to evaluate both shells.

Hmm. FWIW, the slower-hardware boxes also had more physical CPUs.  (quad UltraSparc-II vs. dual UltraSparc-IIIi).

Wes

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 3:56 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
Wes Garland wrote:
> What's your current support-target for Solaris?
>
> /usr/xpg4/bin/sh might be another choice. Both installed virtually
> everywhere.  I don't know which is better.
> So - if you suspect that changing the shell might improve my
> experience..I'll be patching my local 1.2 even before 1.3 comes out. :)

Hi Wes, yes; I've tried that before, going to try it again here now that
you've reminded me ;-)

Can I suggest you apply that first patch to production, testing both the
/usr/ksh and /usr/xpg4/bin/sh - and let us know which is more effective
in -your- experience?

Nothing beats the real world, at least not until the Singularity :)