apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Apache Portable Runtime artifacts
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2008 05:29:54 GMT

On Nov 8, 2008, at 2:55 PM, Max Bowsher wrote:

> André Malo wrote:
>> * Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

>>> What difficulties are you speaking of?
>
> The difficulty is that there is no standard on how to manage the
> multitude of flavours of native binaries that are possible.
>
> For example, there's architecture and OS that need to be considered,
> but
> for all but then you start to get things like C library version being
> involved. If you are looking to do anything with apr-util as well as
> apr
> itself, then the problem explodes with the number of extra
> dependencies.

I was thinking that the artifact name could be

apr-<osname>-<processor>

e.g. apr-linux-x86_64.   Or we can have a more general

apr-<osname>-<processor>-<configuration>

where configuration is a token that represents a particular
configuration of options, e.g. apr-msdos-8086-aztecc.

I don't use the apr-util code.  Can you explain what extra
dependencies there are?

>>> You are correct, I want to publish the APR libraries so that they
>>> may
>>> be pulled in by  projects built with the Maven native plugin [1].

>>> Makes sense to me.  How, exactly, should we do this?  Should I file
>>> Jiras w/ the POMs for the artifacts, [2], and then start a vote?
>
> APR lives in Bugzilla rather than JIRA, but I'd suggest the best place
> to start would be posting POMs and build recipes for the binaries to
> go
> with them to this list.

I think that I should iron out the configuration/dependency space that
we are discussing above first.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Alan