apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Adding first/next block to apr_rmm
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2008 01:11:16 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, the code is self explanatory I hope.
>>> Any objections for commit that to the trunk?
>>
>> Howso?  It seems good to add these for better allocators within the rmm
>> api itself, but is this the sort of introspection we expect people to do
>> from outside of our implementation?
>>

> It would be if the apr_rmm structures were not private.
> If one wishes to loop trough the allocated rmm blocks
> the only way is to maintain an external array of allocated
> blocks. However this concept fails if used for what is
> mostly meant (attached to the shared memory block) to be used.

Well, my question is what are you trying to get at?  Clearly you want to
expose the internals, but I'm altogether unclear of how/why a developer
needs that data... it implies our rmm implementation is missing some key
feature (not "inspect allocations" ... but something beyond that) which
would make it more useful.

When folks say "I need this to be transparent" I usually read it as
"you forgot to implement..."