apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Apache Portable Runtime artifacts
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2008 03:35:11 GMT
Max Bowsher wrote:

> Oops, I didn't communicate clearly. What I meant was that on a typical
> system, depending on what piece of software you ask, you will get
> different answers, for example, dpkg --print-architecture showing i386,
> Java's os.arch showing i586 and uname -m showing i686. Hence, we need to
> establish consistency about which string we intend to use to represent
> the general concept of IA-32.

wow - you plan to build itanium 32 bit?  now that's one ancient piece of
scrap metal ;-P

> It's perfectly normal and expected for C libraries to depend on other C
> libraries. It's only in the world of JNI where this becomes potentially
> painful.

ACK - I don't think anyone disagrees this is a frustration, simply folks
are disagreeing on what is a rational solution.

>> Version 2.3.x strikes me as really old.  Unless I'm missing something,
>> we, in my case, won't have to deal with that corner case.
>
> Really? You think you'll avoid ever having a user who's running Debian
> stable? I think that's a touch unrealistic.

Yup - Debian stable seems much more realistic than itanium pre-64 bit.

>> To give some more color to what I want to do, I want to make OSGi
>> bundles for APR.  I would use OSGi's native code loading mechanism to
>> "dispatch" the correct library.
>
> Can you recommend any docs to that give an overview of this mechanism?

Bingo... a clear example is all the list is looking for.