apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: Apache Portable Runtime artifacts
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:26:18 GMT
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2008, at 6:43 AM, Max Bowsher wrote:
>
>> This means it won't work on Debian etch / Ubuntu dapper, for example, or
>> other distros of similar age, nor would it work if libuuid1 was missing
>> - quite unlikely, I admit, but possible.
>>
>> Whilst these dependencies are not *that* onerous, especially once Debian
>> lenny succeeds etch as stable, they do illustrate the problem.
>
> I'm not sure why APR would allow such a system dependancy.  APR is
> supposed to make application developers' lives easier.  Why would I
> have to worry about libuuid1 missing?  I'm new to APR and am getting
> my head around what it will and will not do for me.

It's supposed to make application developers' lives easier, not system
distributors'. By sticking APR into a Maven repo, you're trying to be
the latter -- by which you inherit all the myriad PITAs that
distributors have to live with.

I seriously suggest you drop the idea at least until you disabuse
yourself of the notion that "linux" and "windows" are the same class
trouble in that respect.

Every major Linux distro in the world has some kind of APR package that
you can probably use. In this case its really best to rely on vendors to
do the right thing.

-- Brane