apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Apache Portable Runtime artifacts
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:48:02 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 18:30:27 +0100
> Branko ─îibej <brane@xbc.nu> wrote:
>
>> Nick Kew wrote:

>>> The what?
>>>
>> You know, the stuff that comes off the build machines, like JARs and
>> WARs and propery files and all that Java cruft. *rofl*
>
> Google doesn't seem to know what that means, either:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22apr+artifacts%22
>
> Just one mention of the term (in a computing context)
> before Alan's post.

We are having fun with this, but

http://www.google.com/search?q=build+artifacts

is a more interesting query.

We use gnu autoconf libtool at this point, so it seems to make sense to name
such packages by that target arch string.  There's nothing that makes this
impossible, and keeping a private copy might help avoid clashing with a
properly configured system-wide compilation.

If there is something you would like to check-in to describe the build or
create the packages, that can certainly happen.  We have rpm and pkgadd
descriptors already.  Why not more?

Only ASF committers' binaries are checked into apache.org/ spaces, due to
the trust issues with binaries.  But it doesn't sound like a silly idea if
it helps adoption.  Not everyone assembles their machinne with yum or
apt-get.

Bill