apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Apache Portable Runtime artifacts
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2008 23:05:27 GMT
André Malo wrote:

> Doesn't make sense to me, as the ASF doesn't release binaries. Has that been
> changed?

The ASF routinely releases binaries in Javaland, and even in httpd,
binaries are released by the ASF for httpd for Windows.

As Java binaries work everywhere (in theory), it is straightforward to
make and depend on released binaries as there is only one binary to release.

Maven supports the idea of both platform independent and platform
specific binaries, what would be needed would be people willing to build
binaries for a particular platform.

Alternatively, if JNI bindings exist for APR (no idea what interface
tomcat uses, but I am assuming there is some kind of Java wrapper there
somewhere), the JNI bindings can be published to a maven repo, and the
APR could then be deployed according whatever the best practice was on
that platform (rpm, deb, pkg, whatever).

Regards,
Graham