apr-dev mailing list archives

From Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>
Subject Re: Apache Portable Runtime artifacts
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2008 22:55:56 GMT
André Malo wrote:
> * Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

>>> What are the specifics of the artifacts you were thinking of
>>> publishing?
>>> APR is not a Java project after all.  I do realize that strictly
>>> speaking, Maven is not just for Java, but any publishing of native
>>> code into Maven tends to be fraught with difficulties.
>> What difficulties are you speaking of?

The difficulty is that there is no standard on how to manage the
multitude of flavours of native binaries that are possible.

For example, there's architecture and OS that need to be considered, but
for all but then you start to get things like C library version being
involved. If you are looking to do anything with apr-util as well as apr
itself, then the problem explodes with the number of extra dependencies.

>> You are correct, I want to publish the APR libraries so that they may
>> be pulled in by  projects built with the Maven native plugin [1].
>>
>>> It would probably be best for the precise files being published to be
>>> acked by an APR committer or PMC member before publishing.
>>> Actually, wouldn't published Maven artifacts be considered an ASF
>>> release and therefore needful of PMC voting?
>> Makes sense to me.  How, exactly, should we do this?  Should I file
>> Jiras w/ the POMs for the artifacts, [2], and then start a vote?

APR lives in Bugzilla rather than JIRA, but I'd suggest the best place
to start would be posting POMs and build recipes for the binaries to go
with them to this list.

> Doesn't make sense to me, as the ASF doesn't release binaries. Has that been
> changed?

Lots of (Java) ASF projects provide binaries on
http://www.apache.org/dist/. I don't know whether those are semantically
considered releases or just arbitrarily distributed files that happen to
coincidentally be derived from actual releases.

Max.