apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Apache Portable Runtime artifacts
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2008 19:31:46 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:

>> You know, the stuff that comes off the build machines, like JARs and
>> WARs and propery files and all that Java cruft. *rofl*
>
> Google doesn't seem to know what that means, either:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22apr+artifacts%22
>
> Just one mention of the term (in a computing context)
> before Alan's post.

"Artifacts" is maven speak for the final objects that are created at the
end of a build, which in the early days started off as binaries, but now
can mean jars, javadocs, websites, poms, libraries, anything bundled
together, given a version number and formally released.

Publishing APR binaries in a maven repository will help projects like
tomcat that depend on APR for performance.

Because maven repos typically contain binaries, for it to be practical
to deploy APR to a repo there would need to be some kind of sensible
classifier format that describes the platform that APR would be built
for. If that could be worked out, I don't see any reason why binaries
could not be deployed.

Regards,
Graham