apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Solaris shell
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2008 19:37:13 GMT
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 14:14:56 -0600
"William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Attached is a patch, I'd like at least another two pairs of eyeballs
> before applying to trunk and 1.3.
>
> The first bit is most significant; /bin/sh on solaris simply sucks,
> and the shell and invoked child simply do not handle pipes, signals
> and termination correctly.  /bin/ksh is far more robust, and I
> believe we should switch to this instead.

Isn't Solaris /bin/sh original-Bourne?

And doesn't that apply also to other non-GNU *x?  It's been a while
since I've run a *BSD box, but I recollect /bin/sh as original-looking
Bourne, and replacing it ASAP on any *BSD box that comes my way.

I fear it may be us who are at fault for making invalid assumptions
about bash-isms in /bin/sh.  But if your patch fixes real problems
as detailed in Rainer's bugs, then that makes sense.

> Second bit; simply doc clarifications.

Um, most of that looks like just whitespace and layout changes.
Am I missing something?

> Third bit; it seems a bit nasty that an unrecognized arg causes a
> shell path search, the preference aught to be as literal as
> possible.  Since we had already hit upon our match, this hack wastes
> a brief cycle for PROGRAM_PATH invocations, and otherwise simply
> throws up on an unrecognized invocation.

Makes sense in principle.  If the regression tests are happy, I'd say
go ahead in trunk and see if something breaks.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/