apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Corrected: global_mutex on Solaris 10, does it actually work?
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2008 20:03:18 GMT
Tim Bray wrote:
> Correcting two errors in my original post, why don't I just copy & paste?
>
> So, there's this file I want to update, suppose its name is in the
> variable "filename", so I go
>
>      status = apr_global_mutex_create(&mutex, filename,  APR_LOCK_DEFAULT,
>                      pool);

Create says exactly that.

I was thinking apr_global_mutex_child_init but that clearly isn't it, because
it expects an initialized lock.

If we compare this to apr_shm_create / apr_shm_attach, it's pretty clear we
are just missing the mechanics to solve this.  apr_proc|global_mutex_attach
is missing, and this should just be mopped up for apr 1.4.0, and absolutely
before 2.0.0.

The other solutions that come to mind are all very, very crufty hacks against
specific solutions, e.g. an apr_os_proc_mutex_put sort of solution.  It really
is the API that needs repair.

Bill