apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apr-util removal of md4/md5 algorithms (legal issue)
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:36:00 GMT
On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:13:28AM -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 4:24 AM, Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
> > I just noticed that this issue is covered in the Fedora licensing FAQ:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/FAQ
> >
> > which references this statement from RSA:
> >
> > http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/RSA-MD-all [plain text sent as text/html, oops]
> >
> > the Fedora FAQ says that based on this, we can simply strip the
> > restrictive licensing statements from the MD4/MD5 implementation,
> > retaining the RSA copyright notice alone.
> >
> > Can legal-discuss@ confirm whether this is an acceptable course of
> > action?
>
> First, the above seems to present a conflicting state of affairs.
> I've only followed the links provided, so I may not understand the
> true story.  But if the original code was made available under the
> original BSD with advertising clause, then there is a specific right
> to redistribute provided, right?

Sorry folks, I should have included more context in this.

The code in question carries the license text referenced here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200610.mbox/<20061016103814.GB1778@redhat.com>

this code is currently in APR but has been around since Apache 1.3.

> Since we have actual lawyers engaged (ones who are reportedly not
> amused), how about inquiring as to whether such a course of action
> would, in fact, tickle their fancy?

Tom, can you do that?

Regards, Joe