apr-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Making APU_DSO_LIBDIR configure-able
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 07:26:33 GMT
Hi,

some OSes have a handy way of using relative search pathes for the
runtime linker. E.g. Linux and Solaris both support the use of the
string '$ORIGIN' at the beginning of a search path element, which is a
placeholder for the directory, in which the shared object needing
another one is located. So on these platforms

#define APU_DSO_LIBDIR "$ORIGIN/apr-util-1

would make the apr-util and ldap helper lib nicely relocatable in the
file system.

Although libtool doesn't support $ORIGIN (since it isn't portable), it
would be nice to make APU_DSO_LIBDIR customizable via configure, so that
one could set it to $ORIGIN during the build.

I know, that at the moment apr-util automatically chooses the library
installation path given to configure, but in all cases were you want to
make the installation path choseable after the configure step, that
doesn't help.

I already tested, that $ORIGIN also works within dlopen() (at least on
Solaris, Linux still to test), which is relevant here.

If there is some interest in this, I could provide a configure.in patch.

Regards,

Rainer