apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject reslist API future (was Re: svn commit: r677505)
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:10:52 GMT
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 09:44:38AM +1000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 23:51 +0100, Joe Orton wrote:
> > So I'd say it's either a new API guarantee (can't be done in 1.3.x) or
> > it's simply an API change (can't be done in 1.x).
> Is that your -1 to backporting?

I'd rather the decision was made by those who are more familiar with
this code than I.  The fact that this change apparently does break an
existing caller does seem to back up the "API change" argument:

> Going forward (1.4.x and above), we could also simply include respool
> (patch sent to the list), that implements sub-pools by default and it
> doesn't have a destructor, along the lines of what you explained wrt.
> "design pattern". Then people can continue using reslist as is and use
> respool for new stuff, without any API/ABI breakage.

I think that makes sense, so long as you're sure that the respool design
will solve the set of problems with reslist that people have seen; it
would be good to hear from Mladen and Chris on this.

Regards, Joe

View raw message