apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Ames" <gregames.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adrift with Apache
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2008 22:02:36 GMT
On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Steve Comstock <steve@trainersfriend.com> wrote:

ahem...remember that I said 2.2 was a little more complicated than 2.0 on z/OS?

> python? I need to install python?

yes and no.  In httpd-2.2, python is used to create make dependency
files srclib/apr[-util]/buildoutputs.mk .  But since you already have
those files in in your httpd tarball, you can patch the code to bypass
calling gen-build.py and the check for python.

> buildconf: autoconf not found.
>           You need autoconf version 2.50 or newer installed
>           to build APR from SVN.
> ./buildconf failed for apr
>

> But... autoconf 2.54 _is_ installed; it comes with tools N toys
> (ported tools) already mentioned, and it is in the PATH.

hmm, that check is in srclib/apr/build/buildcheck.sh if you want to
take a look/experiment.  it is massaging the output of "autoconf
--version".  it works for me but I picked up a newer autoconf
somewhere, maybe from GNU.  I am still bypassing an autoconf version
check in pcre, however.

You might want to take a look at
http://people.apache.org/~gregames/2.2-zOS-build/  The patch file
contains several build workarounds, plus an uncommitted runtime patch
to apr-util to accommodate the z/OS name for ISO8859-1.  It contains
libtool with updates for httpd 2.2 on z/OS.  The env vars file and
configure script are just examples that should be enough to get you
going.  My make install fails to copy libapr[util]-1.so to my
<prefix>/lib/ directory; haven't investigated.  I also tweaked my
httpd.conf to:

* comment out the bogus User and Group.  My ID can use port 80 etc, so
no need to run httpd as root
* comment out LoadModules for mod_auth_digest (silence complaints) and
mod_dbd (don't think I need it)
* add mod_charset_lite directives to translate EBCDIC content:

<Location />
CharsetSourceEnc IBM-1047
CharsetDefault   ISO8859-1
</Location>