apr-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Comstock <st...@trainersfriend.com>
Subject Re: Adrift with Apache
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 17:00:41 GMT
Greg Ames wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Steve Comstock <steve@trainersfriend.com> wrote:
>
> ahem...remember that I said 2.2 was a little more complicated than 2.0 on z/OS?
>
>> python? I need to install python?
>
> yes and no.  In httpd-2.2, python is used to create make dependency
> files srclib/apr[-util]/buildoutputs.mk .  But since you already have
> those files in in your httpd tarball, you can patch the code to bypass
> calling gen-build.py and the check for python.

Hmmm. Seems to me the configure script ought to do the check
for an existing file, maybe with an invocation option that
would overwrite existing files otherwise skip the overhead
of the python work.

But, that's just me. We have what we have.

>> buildconf: autoconf not found.
>>           You need autoconf version 2.50 or newer installed
>>           to build APR from SVN.
>> ./buildconf failed for apr
>>

>> But... autoconf 2.54 _is_ installed; it comes with tools N toys
>> (ported tools) already mentioned, and it is in the PATH.
>
> hmm, that check is in srclib/apr/build/buildcheck.sh if you want to
> take a look/experiment.  it is massaging the output of "autoconf
> --version".  it works for me but I picked up a newer autoconf
> somewhere, maybe from GNU.

I picked up autoconf-2.62 from a GNU mirror, but I was reluctant
to use it; since 2.54 is in toolsNtoys, which is in my PATH, I
thought that a simpler approach.

In all this work I find I'm ending up with many versions of
pieces of software I never even knew existed and I'm never
clear which version to use, and how to set my PATH to get
the correct version of each piece.

What I want to do is to find the minimal combination of
tools needed to do a simple install of Apache 2.2.9 to z/OS
1.9.

On your webpage, "Apache 2.0 on z/OS" you say you need:

* C compiler; no problem

* non-GNU libtool, and you provide a link; but I gather
    I'm better off to install libtool-zOS-httpd-2.2.tar.Z
    from the link in this email, right?

* GNU autocnf and m4; here you provide links, and also
    these are in the ported tools N toys; which to use?

* shell script to unpack tarball: xtar; I don't see
    that a really need it; just use pax, I think.

* apache sour tarball httpd-2.0.xx.tar.Z - well that
    is not on the apache site; all the tarballs end
    in .gz or .bz2; since gzip is in the ported tools
    and toys, I chose the .gz version

I am still bypassing an autoconf version
> check in pcre, however.

I don't get the meaning of that last sentence. What's the
implication for the work I'm doing? Do I need to replicate
that?

> You might want to take a look at
> http://people.apache.org/~gregames/2.2-zOS-build/  The patch file
> contains several build workarounds, plus an uncommitted runtime patch
> to apr-util to accommodate the z/OS name for ISO8859-1.  It contains
> libtool with updates for httpd 2.2 on z/OS.

OK, I've uploaded the four files

   build.patch
   libtool-zOS-httpd-2.2.tar.Z
   my_config
   my_envs

I've unwound the tar ball using pax (my surprise: I had
to do it twice, since the first time I didn't include
-oto=ibm-1047; I figured this was for an EBCDIC system
so the stored text would be EBCDCIC. Might want a note
to that effect).

The env vars file and
> configure script are just examples that should be enough to get you
> going.  My make install fails to copy libapr[util]-1.so to my
> <prefix>/lib/ directory; haven't investigated.  I also tweaked my
> httpd.conf to:
>
> * comment out the bogus User and Group.  My ID can use port 80 etc, so
> no need to run httpd as root
> * comment out LoadModules for mod_auth_digest (silence complaints) and
> mod_dbd (don't think I need it)
> * add mod_charset_lite directives to translate EBCDIC content:
>
> <Location />
> CharsetSourceEnc IBM-1047
> CharsetDefault   ISO8859-1
> </Location>

Well, I'll work on those after I get the basic install / port
done. But now, where do I go?

Here are the pieces I have available:

in /usr/lpp/zApache:

bin/
   libtool           - these are from the previous libtool;
   libtool_printpath - I haven't done a make on your new libtool
   libtoolexe        - yet; I suppose I should start there
   libtoolize
   ltconfig
   shlibtool

httpd-2.2.9/ 30 files plus these subdirectories:
   build/
      pkg/
      rpm/
      win32/
   docs/
      cgi-examples/
      conf/
      extra/
      docroot/
      error/
        include/
      icons/
        small/
      man/
      manual/
        developer/
        faq/
        howto/
        images/
        misc/
        mod/
        platform/
        programs/
        rewrite/
        ssl/
        style/
          css/
          lang/
          latex/
          xsl/
            util/
        vhosts/
   include/
   modules/
     aaa/
     arch/
       netware/
       win32/
     cache/
     database/
     dav/
       fs/
       lock/
       main/
     debug/
     echo/
     experimental/
     filters/
     generators/
     http/
     ldap/
     loggers/
     mappers/
     metadata/
     proxy/
     ssl/
     test
   os/
     beos/
     bs2000/
     netware/
     os2/
     tpf/
       samples/
     unix/
     win32/
   server/
     mpm/
       beos/
       experimental/
          event/
       mpmt_os2/
       netware/
       prefork/
       winnt/
       worker/
   srclib/
     apr/
       atomic/
         netware/
         os390/
         unix/
         win32/
       build/
         pkg/
         rpm/
       docs/
         dso/
           aix/
           beos/
           netware/
           os2/
           os390/
           unix/
           win32/
       file_io/
         netware/
         os2/
         unix/
         win32/
       include/
         arch/
           aix/
           beos/
           netware/
           os2/
           os390/
           unix/
           win32/
       locks/
         beos/
         netware/
         os2/
         unix/
         win32/
       memory/
         unix/
       misc/
         netware/
         unix/
         win32/
       mmap/
         unix/
         win32/
       network_io/
         beos/
         os2/
         unix/
         win32/
       passwd/
       poll/
         os2/
         unix/
       random/
         unix/
       shmem/
         beos/
         os2/
         unix/
         win32/
       strings/
       support/
         unix/
       tables/
       test/
         data/
         internal/
       threadproc/
         beos/
         netware/
         os2/
         unix/
         win32/
       time/
         unix/
         win32/
       user/
         netware/
         unix/
         win32/
     apr-util/
       buckets/
       build/
         pkg/
         rpm/
       crypto/
       dbd/
       dbm/
         sdbm/
       docs/
       encoding/
       hooks/
       include/
         private/
       ldap/
       memcache/
       misc/
       strmatch/
       test/
         data/
       uri/
       xlate/
       xml/
         expat/
           conftools/
           lib/
     pcre/
       doc/
       testdata/
   support/
     SHA1/
     win32/
   test/

libtool/

share/
   alocal/
   libtool

libtool-zOS-httpd-2.2.tar.Z
libtool.tar.Z

in /usr/lpp/toolsNtoys:

... well, more of the same; I uploaded the binary file
     and untarred it. I know some of the code works (e.g.,
     gzip works), but I have this feeling many of the
     pieces will fail because the PDF doc assumes you are
     installing the utilities piece meal, and it doesn't
     give any clues how to proceed if you unload the whole
     ball of wax at once.

Also, now I have python installed.

Whew!

My guess is, I need to install the new libtool I just
untarred; that is, do a make and make install.

But then do I need to modify some other code?

Do I need to do a buildconf? A build? A configure?

Is build.patch a classic UNIX patch file? If so,
where do I apply it? If not, how do I use it?

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

   z/OS Application development made easier
     * Our classes include
        + How things work
        + Programming examples with realistic applications
        + Starter / skeleton code
        + Complete working programs
        + Useful utilities and subroutines
        + Tips and techniques

==> Check out the Trainer's Friend Store to purchase z/OS  <==
==> application developer toolkits. Sample code in four    <==
==> programming languages, JCL to Assemble or compile,     <==
==> bind and test.                                         <==
==>   http://www.trainersfriend.com/TTFStore/index.html    <==