apr-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Comstock <st...@trainersfriend.com>
Subject Re: Adrift with Apache
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2008 22:14:32 GMT
Greg Ames wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Steve Comstock <steve@trainersfriend.com> wrote:
>
> ahem...remember that I said 2.2 was a little more complicated than 2.0 on z/OS?
>
>> python? I need to install python?
>
> yes and no.  In httpd-2.2, python is used to create make dependency
> files srclib/apr[-util]/buildoutputs.mk .  But since you already have
> those files in in your httpd tarball, you can patch the code to bypass
> calling gen-build.py and the check for python.
>
>> buildconf: autoconf not found.
>>           You need autoconf version 2.50 or newer installed
>>           to build APR from SVN.
>> ./buildconf failed for apr
>>

>> But... autoconf 2.54 _is_ installed; it comes with tools N toys
>> (ported tools) already mentioned, and it is in the PATH.
>
> hmm, that check is in srclib/apr/build/buildcheck.sh if you want to
> take a look/experiment.  it is massaging the output of "autoconf
> --version".  it works for me but I picked up a newer autoconf
> somewhere, maybe from GNU.  I am still bypassing an autoconf version
> check in pcre, however.
>
> You might want to take a look at
> http://people.apache.org/~gregames/2.2-zOS-build/  The patch file
> contains several build workarounds, plus an uncommitted runtime patch
> to apr-util to accommodate the z/OS name for ISO8859-1.  It contains
> libtool with updates for httpd 2.2 on z/OS.  The env vars file and
> configure script are just examples that should be enough to get you
> going.  My make install fails to copy libapr[util]-1.so to my
> <prefix>/lib/ directory; haven't investigated.  I also tweaked my
> httpd.conf to:
>
> * comment out the bogus User and Group.  My ID can use port 80 etc, so
> no need to run httpd as root
> * comment out LoadModules for mod_auth_digest (silence complaints) and
> mod_dbd (don't think I need it)
> * add mod_charset_lite directives to translate EBCDIC content:
>
> <Location />
> CharsetSourceEnc IBM-1047
> CharsetDefault   ISO8859-1
> </Location>
>
> Greg

Greg,

Thanks for the ideas. I need to shutdown for the day now, but
I'll have a go at these tomorrow. I'll keep ya' posted.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

   z/OS Application development made easier
     * Our classes include
        + How things work
        + Programming examples with realistic applications
        + Starter / skeleton code
        + Complete working programs
        + Useful utilities and subroutines
        + Tips and techniques

==> Check out the Trainer's Friend Store to purchase z/OS  <==
==> application developer toolkits. Sample code in four    <==
==> programming languages, JCL to Assemble or compile,     <==
==> bind and test.                                         <==
==>   http://www.trainersfriend.com/TTFStore/index.html    <==