apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: apr_pool_create_core_ex, WAS: Re: svn commit: r647384 - in /apr/apr/trunk: CHANGES include/apr_pools.h memory/unix/apr_pools.c
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2008 21:28:16 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> Mladen Turk wrote:
>>>
>>> Any problems renaming the API in 1.3.x as well?
>>
>> Yup, it shipped.  So we can @deprecate your original choice of name
>> and add any new name that's appropriate.
>>

> Does depreciation means the function must be implemented?
> I suppose it should, so it'll simply call the renamed one.

Call the well-named function from the deprecated one, yes.  It's the
pattern that is repeated throughout the API.  When the deprecated fn
disappears in 2.0, it has no impact on the legitimate one.

> What a mess ?!# :(

That's called strict versioning, and that's why I *begged* for careful
review before 1.3.0 was released.