apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: Reslist v. no threads
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2008 21:30:34 GMT
On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 20:45 +0200, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> Hm, of course still a lot of overhead to manage a single resource.

True. I first started writing the patch with just a (void *) pointing to
the resource, but then I realized that ttl actually may be useful for
recycling it. So, rather than inventing my own thing (and introducing my
own bugs :-), I just used existing infrastructure.

> But I am
> not really convinced anyway that any reslist implementation makes any sense
> in a non threaded environment.

I would say the only use for it is to avoid people inventing their own
code like this:

#if APR_HAS_THREADS
  do something with reslist
#else
  do something without reslist
#endif

Essentially, people are forced to wrap reslist into a layer of their own
code in situations where threads are unavailable, just like I wrote in
bug #24325. So, we're just wrapping this up for them instead.

> Apart from this it seems to be ok.

Thanks for reviewing!

--
Bojan