apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: Changing the order of cleanup for some core objects
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:45:28 GMT
On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 09:12 +0200, Sander Striker wrote:

> Note that pools are specifically *not* thread safe.  Only one thread
> can 'own' a pool at a time, and when there are subpools on another
> thread, you'd better protect those subpools from not being destroyed
> while that thread is running.  Hence me saying that cases where the
> root pool is being destroyed is moot.

It seems that with Tomcat's Native APR connector, this cannot be
guaranteed any more. Maybe that code needs to get some locking in place
in order to protect pools that don't belong to the threads that are
killing them.

For now, I think we best tell people that they must do external
synchronisation and signalling or they'll suffer segfaults.

--
Bojan