apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: Changing the order of cleanup for some core objects
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:40:17 GMT
On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 12:01 +0100, Joe Orton wrote:

> I still don't understand the problem at all.  Can you give an example of
> something which cannot be done today because of the current design of
> APR pools?

I think it's not so much that it cannot be done, just that it becomes a
bit of a head scratching exercise (at least for me :-).

For example, this wasn't obvious to me until I actually ran some tests
against Mladen's pre_cleanup stuff (this is an example where sub-pools
were left allocated, because it wasn't obvious how to safely destroy
them):

http://marc.info/?l=apr-dev&m=121642397621125&w=2

So, I think Mladen is trying to have an API where stuff like this
doesn't have to happen. I can sympathize with this (as I like things
simple), but on the other hand, this is a C API and things are not
always straightforward...

--
Bojan