apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Huelsmann" <ehu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Opaque structures in general (was Re: Opaque apr_pool_t structure)
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2008 12:39:00 GMT
On 6/6/08, Ryan Bloom <rbloom@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think that there is any reason to not have a sizeof()
> function, other than any code that does "play" with the pointers will
> be non-portable code.  The reason that I originally went with opaque
> data structures (I did it before giving the code to the ASF), was that
> most of the structures are defined totally differently on each
> platform.  By making the structures opaque, it became much harder for
> a developer to write code with APR that worked on some APR platforms,
> but not others.  If you play with the pointers, your code is very
> likely to work only on the platforms that you code on.
>
> But, I would like to hear from some of the active developers about this as well.

Well, as soon as you provide its size, it's not completely opaque
anymore, now is it :-)

I think the entire issue is centered around the fact that Yann doesn't
really want to play by the pool-rules...

I've been subscribed to this list a few years now. I've heard people
regretting that APR uses pools for all of its portability
functionality. I've seen the Subversion devs juggle with pool life
time problems, but I've never heard anybody wanting to copy pools.
Having done quite my share of pool life time juggling myself, I really
don't understand the desire to copy pools around: you have the
pointer, you don't know what else has a pointer...

Bye,

Erik.