apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Ames" <gregames.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trouble in river city.
Date Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:31:34 GMT
On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Steve Comstock
<steve@trainersfriend.com> wrote:

> Isn't the correct solution to fix autoconf so it's
> aware of z/OS? It doesn't seem right to have multiple
> versions of a single function, but rather to have
> one function that supports multiple platforms.

GNU autoconf for z/OS works fine, it just creates additional
complexity/challenges beyond the httpd 1.3 build system.

> Same goes for libtool.

GNU libtool for z/OS doesn't work well at all, at least not for
building httpd-2.x.  Sure, the ideal solution would be to fix it.  But
it is GPLed which means that for all practical purposes, I can't work
on it.  Even if I could, it is pretty complex and has more
functionality than we need/use for Apache httpd, and as far as I know,
lacks knowledge of z/OS things like exports files and how shared
objects work on this platform.  So it was simpler for us to create our
own libtool tailored for httpd/apr.

Greg