apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Ames" <gregames.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Starting over
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:21:45 GMT
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:45 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Steve Comstock wrote:
>>
>> And I am told pretty clearly that I will need libtool
>> and autoconf. Now please remember I am a stranger in
>> a strange land. There is no definition nor link to any
>> place to get these tools. Where do I go? What do they
>> do, anyway? You could help the cause a lot by providing
>> this kind of information. I know that people who "know"
>> know. Reminds me of the ancient days of mainframes when
>> the systems people were kind of high priests and were
>> jealous of letting their knowldege be widely available.
>
> Steve, you shouldn't need to reinstall libtool or autoconf,
> in fact as of 2.2.9 (and apr 1.3.2) these were bleeding edge.

Unfortunately GNU libtool is not capable of building httpd on z/OS.
We use a homegrown libtool which understands enough about z/OS and
httpd to get it to work.  fwiw, it also understands BeOS thanks to
David Reid.

> You only need such things if you were to run ./buildconf,
> which I don't suggest you do.

./buildconf is where libtoolize is done which is necessary.  I don't
*think* you need the rest of buildconf, but we always run buildconf so
that might be the path of least resistance.

Greg