apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Trouble in river city.
Date Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:52:30 GMT
Greg Ames wrote:

>> Same goes for libtool.
>
> GNU libtool for z/OS doesn't work well at all, at least not for
> building httpd-2.x.  Sure, the ideal solution would be to fix it.  But
> it is GPLed which means that for all practical purposes, I can't work
> on it.  Even if I could, it is pretty complex and has more
> functionality than we need/use for Apache httpd, and as far as I know,
> lacks knowledge of z/OS things like exports files and how shared
> objects work on this platform.  So it was simpler for us to create our
> own libtool tailored for httpd/apr.

Sorry to hear you are encumbered from working on it at all :(

Actually your comments on z/OS mirror many of the issues on AIX, which the
modern libtools support to one degree or another.  I'd think that anyone
looking to hack at the sources of libtool would want to watch AIX, Win32
and other more complicated schemas where the final bindings need to exist
and symbols need to resolve.  But it is danged complex.

On a similar topic, please look at the jlibtool.c sources which *are* AL2
licensed and embedded withing apr, can be optionally toggled using the
--enable-experimental-libtool - or disable it altogether using the
--without-libtool flag (which probably won't let you create shared libs,
but perhaps it could be hacked to do so).