apr-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Comstock <st...@trainersfriend.com>
Subject Re: Trouble in river city.
Date Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:01:37 GMT
Greg Ames wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Steve Comstock
> <steve@trainersfriend.com> wrote:
>> Greg Ames wrote:
>
>>> Where did you get your build tools, especially libtool?
>> OK. I started from this page:
>>
>>  http://people.apache.org/~trawick/apache-2-on-zos.html
>>
>> which is, admittedly, a little long in the tooth, but the
>> only page I could find about porting Apache to z/OS. Note,
>> for example, the page title does not say z/OS but OS/390.
>
> Good.  That page is dated for sure, but it is the best place for you
> to start.  We have had to do other build tweaks since that was written
> to get httpd 2.2.x to build on z/OS, but they are minor relative to
> what is takes for 2.0.x*.  I am currently in crunch mode with my day
> job, but once that eases up I hope to do some 2.2.x updates.
>
> In the mean time, why don't you download the latest httpd 2.0.x
> tarball and see if you can build that starting with ./buildconf?  That
> should get you familiar with the process and check out the toolchain.
> Once we get you through a 2.0.x build, it won't be that bad to get
> 2.2.x built.
>
> Greg
>
> * 2.0.x - the big challenges here are autoconf and dealing with how
> shared objects work differently on z/OS than on many other Unices.

Isn't the correct solution to fix autoconf so it's
aware of z/OS? It doesn't seem right to have multiple
versions of a single function, but rather to have
one function that supports multiple platforms. Same
goes for libtool.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

   z/OS Application development made easier
     * Our classes include
        + How things work
        + Programming examples with realistic applications
        + Starter / skeleton code
        + Complete working programs
        + Useful utilities and subroutines
        + Tips and techniques

==> Check out the Trainer's Friend Store to purchase z/OS  <==
==> application developer toolkits. Sample code in four    <==
==> programming languages, JCL to Assemble or compile,     <==
==> bind and test.                                         <==
==>   http://www.trainersfriend.com/TTFStore/index.html    <==