apr-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Comstock <st...@trainersfriend.com>
Subject Re: Trouble in river city.
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 02:25:08 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
[snip]

> Guessing there was no source of entropy.  C.f. apr ./configure;
>
>   --with-egd[=DIR]        use EGD-compatible socket
>   --with-devrandom[=DEV]  use /dev/random or compatible [searches by
> default]

I'm glad you suggested that. It gives me the opportunity to
ask a few questions:

* I've heard of entropy in the physics sense; I've seen
   or two references to it in the software context; what
   does "entropy" mean in the software context?

* What creates entropy? What is the significance of your
   suggested --with options?

* What made you think, from my post, that there was no
   source of entropy? What was your clue?

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

   z/OS Application development made easier
     * Our classes include
        + How things work
        + Programming examples with realistic applications
        + Starter / skeleton code
        + Complete working programs
        + Useful utilities and subroutines
        + Tips and techniques

==> Check out the Trainer's Friend Store to purchase z/OS  <==
==> application developer toolkits. Sample code in four    <==
==> programming languages, JCL to Assemble or compile,     <==
==> bind and test.                                         <==
==>   http://www.trainersfriend.com/TTFStore/index.html    <==