apr-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Comstock <st...@trainersfriend.com>
Subject Re: Trouble in river city.
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:52:40 GMT
Greg Ames wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Steve Comstock
> <steve@trainersfriend.com> wrote:
>
>> Making all in srclib
>> Making all in apr
>> ..
>> WARNING CCN3068 ./dso/unix/dso.c:139   Operation between types "void*" and
>> "int" is not allowed.
>> WARNING CCN3068 ./dso/unix/dso.c:153   Operation between types "const char*"
>> and "int" is not allowed.
>> WARNING CCN3196 ./dso/unix/dso.c:227   Initialization between types "void*"
>> and "int" is not allowed.
>> WARNING CCN3068 ./dso/unix/dso.c:231   Operation between types "const char*"
>> and "int" is not allowed.
>> FSUM3065 The COMPILE step ended with return code 4.
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> ar: FSUM6180 file "passwd/apr_getpass.o": EDC5129I No such file or
>> directory.
>> ar: FSUM6180 file "strings/apr_cpystrn.o": EDC5129I No such file or
>> directory.
>> ar: FSUM6180 file "strings/apr_fnmatch.o": EDC5129I No such file or
>> directory.
>
> I don't see any problems like this building the httpd-2.2.9 tarball on
> Linux with no separate apr[-util] downloads so I have to believe the
> apr[-util] that httpd-2.2.9 comes with is compatible.

Greg,

Thanks for running the test.

> Where did you get your build tools, especially libtool?

OK. I started from this page:

   http://people.apache.org/~trawick/apache-2-on-zos.html

which is, admittedly, a little long in the tooth, but the
only page I could find about porting Apache to z/OS. Note,
for example, the page title does not say z/OS but OS/390.

On that page is a list of tools to get:

   * IBM's C compiler; check

   * non-GNU libtool (don't know why he says non-GNU,
     but there is a link there to:
       http://apache.org/~trawick/libtool.tar.Z)
     this is the version I installed

   * GNU autoconf and m4; he provides ftp links; I got
     these, but it looks like this stuff now comes
     bundled in the Apache tarball; not sure which one
     I ended up using, but probably the version that
     came with the Apache tarball

   * shell script to unpack tarball, xtar (which is just
     a text file with around a dozen lines of code); check

   * the Apache tarball. he points to the 2.0 version, but
     I wanted to try and work with the latest version; it
     turns out the latest version comes in two flavors,
     .gz and .bz2; I got the .gz version; this means I had
     to go get gzip from the z/OS UNIX ported tools page,
     which I did.

> and what do you see if you do
>
> ls srclib/apr/passwd/

   -rw-r--r--   1 ADMINS   SYS1        6714 Jun 14 14:36 apr_getpass.c

> i.e., was there a problem compiling apr_getpass.c ?

Not sure. The code is there, how do I tell if the
compile was successful? [There are no other files
in the directory.]  Of course, this is after I have
installed the new apr and apr-util but before I run
the five+ hour long configure for httpd-2.2.9

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

   z/OS Application development made easier
     * Our classes include
        + How things work
        + Programming examples with realistic applications
        + Starter / skeleton code
        + Complete working programs
        + Useful utilities and subroutines
        + Tips and techniques

==> Check out the Trainer's Friend Store to purchase z/OS  <==
==> application developer toolkits. Sample code in four    <==
==> programming languages, JCL to Assemble or compile,     <==
==> bind and test.                                         <==
==>   http://www.trainersfriend.com/TTFStore/index.html    <==