apr-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Comstock <st...@trainersfriend.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.2.9 questions
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:10:58 GMT
Branko ─îibej wrote:
> Steve Comstock wrote:
>> As mentioned earlier, I am trying to install Apache 2.2.9
>> onto z/OS 1.9. Had some difficulties, seem to have solved.
>>
>> However, a few questions...
>>
>> I started with the page
>>
>>    http://people.apache.org/~trawick/apache-2-on-os390.html
>>
>> which describes a process for installing Apache 2.0 onto
>> OS/390. So, a similar code base, but somewhat dated. On
>> this page, the author asserts:
>>
>> 1. you need to get, in addition to the Apache tarball, the
>>    GNU libtool, autoconf, and m4
>>
>>    Although I got these, it looks like I don't really need
>>    them for Apache 2.2.9; it looks like these come along
>>    with the Apache tarball.
>>
>>    Is this correct?
>>
>> 2. you need to run buildconf then configure
>>
>>    but the Apache instructions say you run configure, then make,
>>    then make install
>>
>>    So, is buildconf no longer necessary? Or is it needed
>>    for z/OS? (I actually had trouble with running it on
>>    z/OS, getting an error message saying I needed python
>>    installed.)
>>

>> Now, here's some feedback to the developers: running
>> httpd-2.2.9/configure took over five hours!
>>
>> While I realize I'm running on a weak platform (I'm only
>> on a ThinkPad, which runs Linux, which runs flex-es (which
>> simulates the z machine instruction set, so very slow, but
>> functional), which runs z/OS, it still seems a long time.
>>
>> I saved and examined the stdout and config.log lines, and
>> it seems to me there is a lot of redundancy. It looks like
>> configure runs APR configure and other stuff. I see messages
>> like "checking size of char" at least two times. Now I see
>> that some of the checks can be time consuming. Can't you
>> build in some kind of memory, so if a check has been run
>> once at one level, it doesn't have to be run again at a
>> different level?
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.57/html_chapter/autoconf_13.html

>> It can also use an optional file (typically called `config.cache' and
>> enabled with `--cache-file=config.cache' or simply `-C') that saves
>> the results of its tests to speed up reconfiguring. (Caching is
>> disabled by default to prevent problems with accidental use of stale
>> cache files.)

Ah. Thanks for the pointer.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

   z/OS Application development made easier
     * Our classes include
        + How things work
        + Programming examples with realistic applications
        + Starter / skeleton code
        + Complete working programs
        + Useful utilities and subroutines
        + Tips and techniques

==> Check out the Trainer's Friend Store to purchase z/OS  <==
==> application developer toolkits. Sample code in four    <==
==> programming languages, JCL to Assemble or compile,     <==
==> bind and test.                                         <==
==>   http://www.trainersfriend.com/TTFStore/index.html    <==