apr-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Comstock <st...@trainersfriend.com>
Subject Apache 2.2.9 questions
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:33:25 GMT
As mentioned earlier, I am trying to install Apache 2.2.9
onto z/OS 1.9. Had some difficulties, seem to have solved.

However, a few questions...

I started with the page

    http://people.apache.org/~trawick/apache-2-on-os390.html

which describes a process for installing Apache 2.0 onto
OS/390. So, a similar code base, but somewhat dated. On
this page, the author asserts:

1. you need to get, in addition to the Apache tarball, the
    GNU libtool, autoconf, and m4

    Although I got these, it looks like I don't really need
    them for Apache 2.2.9; it looks like these come along
    with the Apache tarball.

    Is this correct?

2. you need to run buildconf then configure

    but the Apache instructions say you run configure, then make,
    then make install

    So, is buildconf no longer necessary? Or is it needed
    for z/OS? (I actually had trouble with running it on
    z/OS, getting an error message saying I needed python
    installed.)

Now, here's some feedback to the developers: running
httpd-2.2.9/configure took over five hours!

While I realize I'm running on a weak platform (I'm only
on a ThinkPad, which runs Linux, which runs flex-es (which
simulates the z machine instruction set, so very slow, but
functional), which runs z/OS, it still seems a long time.

I saved and examined the stdout and config.log lines, and
it seems to me there is a lot of redundancy. It looks like
configure runs APR configure and other stuff. I see messages
like "checking size of char" at least two times. Now I see
that some of the checks can be time consuming. Can't you
build in some kind of memory, so if a check has been run
once at one level, it doesn't have to be run again at a
different level?

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

   z/OS Application development made easier
     * Our classes include
        + How things work
        + Programming examples with realistic applications
        + Starter / skeleton code
        + Complete working programs
        + Useful utilities and subroutines
        + Tips and techniques

==> Check out the Trainer's Friend Store to purchase z/OS  <==
==> application developer toolkits. Sample code in four    <==
==> programming languages, JCL to Assemble or compile,     <==
==> bind and test.                                         <==
==>   http://www.trainersfriend.com/TTFStore/index.html    <==