apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r669927 - in /apr/apr/trunk: build/buildcheck.sh configure.in
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:58:38 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> -1.  That breaks the build for all maintainers using OS X 10.4.x and
> I don't see any reason to require it.
>
> % which autoconf
> /usr/bin/autoconf
> % autoconf --version
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59

We have 2 choices.

/usr/bin/autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.61
This is free software.  You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

this is the flavor I've used for a very long time to package apr, httpd
for the projects.  It worked fine.

Unfortunately in 2.62 autoconf maintainers reorganized

  dnl Various OS checks that apparently set required flags
-AC_AIX
+AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS
  AC_ISC_POSIX
-AC_MINIX

_AIX and _MINIX are deprecated, and part of AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS
since 2.60.  AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS does not exist in 2.59 and prior.

see both
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/autoconf/Obsolete-Macros.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/autoconf/Posix-Variants.html#AC%5fUSE%5fSYSTEM%5fEXTENSIONS

Now, these two of a some five potentially interesting toggles were respected
in autoconf 2.62.  Now, without the patch above, ./autoconf emits the error;

$ svn diff -r prev configure.in | patch -p0 -R
patching file configure.in
[wrowe@s170 apr-1.x]$ ./buildconf
buildconf: checking installation...
buildconf: python version 2.5.1 (ok)
buildconf: autoconf version 2.62 (ok)
buildconf: libtool version 1.5.26 (ok)
Copying libtool helper files ...
buildconf: Using libtool.m4 at /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4.
Creating include/arch/unix/apr_private.h.in ...
configure.in:144: warning: AC_COMPILE_IFELSE was called before
AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS
../../lib/autoconf/specific.m4:385: AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/specific.m4:456: AC_MINIX is expanded from...
configure.in:144: the top level
configure.in:144: warning: AC_RUN_IFELSE was called before
AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS
Creating configure ...
configure.in:144: warning: AC_COMPILE_IFELSE was called before
AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS
../../lib/autoconf/specific.m4:385: AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/specific.m4:456: AC_MINIX is expanded from...
configure.in:144: the top level
configure.in:144: warning: AC_RUN_IFELSE was called before
AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS
Generating 'make' outputs ...
rebuilding rpm spec file

I'm unsure if we want to tolerate this warning to maintainers, but unlike
all of the other patches I just committed, this patch does not affect the
run time ./configure user.  So I'll listen to a day or two of feedback and
either let you be convinced, or agree we should back this out.

Bill