apr-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Donovan <donov...@bellatlantic.net>
Subject Re: Warnings for apr_dbd_odbc.c on 64-bit platforms
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 02:02:36 GMT
Bojan Smojver wrote:
> I'm getting these on Fedora 9, x86_64:
> -----------------------
> dbd/apr_dbd_odbc.c: In function ‘odbc_open’:
> dbd/apr_dbd_odbc.c:1010: warning: cast to pointer from integer of
> different size
> dbd/apr_dbd_odbc.c: In function ‘odbc_start_transaction’:
> dbd/apr_dbd_odbc.c:1101: warning: cast to pointer from integer of
> different size
> dbd/apr_dbd_odbc.c: In function ‘odbc_get_entry’:
> dbd/apr_dbd_odbc.c:1310: warning: cast from pointer to integer of
> different size
> dbd/apr_dbd_odbc.c: In function ‘odbc_transaction_mode_set’:
> dbd/apr_dbd_odbc.c:1496: warning: cast to pointer from integer of
> different size
> -----------------------
>
> That's for these lines:
> -----------------------
> rc = SQLSetConnectAttr(hdbc, attrs[i], (void *) attrvals[i], 0);
> rc = SQLSetConnectAttr(handle->dbc, SQL_ATTR_TXN_ISOLATION, (void *)
>                                handle->transaction_mode, 0);
> if ((signed int) p > 0)
> rc = SQLSetConnectAttr(trans->dbc, SQL_ATTR_TXN_ISOLATION,
>                            (void *) mode, 0);
> -----------------------
>
> Pointers on 64-bit Linux machines are 64-bit values, integers are 32-bit
> values, hence the warnings.
>
> Just making sure all this is really intended here...

The Microsoft ODBC docs at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms713605(VS.85).aspx say:

   SQLPOINTER      ValuePtr
   [Input] Pointer to the value to be associated with Attribute. Depending on the value of
   Attribute, ValuePtr will be a 32-bit unsigned integer value or will point to a null-terminated
   character string. Note that if the Attribute argument is a driver-specific value, the value
in
   ValuePtr may be a signed integer.

The DB2 CLI/ODBC docs say the same -
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v8/topic/com.ibm.db2.udb.doc/ad/r0000646.htm

UnixODBC & iODBC usually treat the MS ODBC docs as authoritative, so it seems likely that
this is as
intended.  I don't have a 64-bit system to give it a try on.

hmmm...   ODBC really shows its age here!

-tom-