apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Opaque structures in general (was Re: Opaque apr_pool_t structure)
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2008 15:37:56 GMT
Yann wrote:
> Sorry I didn't explain myself very well.
>
> I don't wan't to play with pointers, of course, a single sizeof won't
> allow me to do much more then a memcpy().
>
> For example ( innocently :p ) :
>
> struct mystuct {
>     apr_pool_t p;
> } myvar;
> apr_pool_t p;
>
> apr_pool_create(&p, NULL);
> memcpy(&myvar.p, p, apr_pool_sizeof());
>
> That's all I can do, I can't access any apr_pool field ...

Keep in mind that the origin p may have internal reference pointers or
other objects may have reference pointers into the original p, so that
if you begin manipulating p at a different location you may break both
p itself and other objects referencing p.

That said, I can see where you might be going with this... I'd think
that some serialization wrapper for some of our object types into a
transferable, storable/cachable and later queryable form might be useful.