apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: tabs
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 20:05:33 GMT
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> Topic for a fun conversation: Should we detab the various
> APR source? We've never really instituted a specific coding
> style, ala httpd, but 1.3.x might not be a bad place to start.
> I'm proposing this for post-1.3.1 release, btw :)

Honestly, I loathe tabs as much as the next guy, but I actually
dislike the idea of wholesale reformatting because it makes it harder
to figure out where a bit of code came from.

For example, trying to track down the commit some problematic code
came from changes from the old way:

1) Find code snippit.
2) Run svn blame.
3) Read log message from commit to see if it's just being really
clever, or being really dumb.

To the new way:

1) Find code snippit.
2) Run svn blame.
3) Discover that line was changed when we removed all tabs.  Crap.
4) Run svn blame one revision prior to when we removed all tabs.
5) Find the actual commit you're looking for.

It's just a pain.  I much more prefer reformatting to meet style
guidelines as code is modified for some other reason.

-garrett