apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: Help with apr and apr-util
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2008 23:26:08 GMT
On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 14:45 -0600, Steve Comstock wrote:

>    1. Should I delete the srclib/apr and srclib/apr-util
>       directories I built just yesterday? Remember, the
>       configure took me over five hours to build what I
>       have (and it doesn't work)

You don't need to delete it, but you'll have to run another round of
configure on the new APR/APR-util anyhow. It's really unfortunate the
environment is so slow. Any way you can do this on bare metal somewhere
so you don't have to wait for hours to see the results?

>    2. Where should I upload apr-1.3.2.tar.gz? in srclib?

No need. You can put it anywhere you like. But, if you replace apr and
apr-util directories inside srclib with release 1.3.2, it should work as
well.

>    3. Does this contain both apr and apr-util?

No. APR-util is separate (i.e. you need to download another tarball).

>    4. I find no install instructions; what are the steps?
>       [small mercies: I know how to unzip and unwind; but
>       once there, what can I expect?

APR and APR-util are separate packages from httpd (httpd folks do ship
both with httpd for convenience). They can be installed by themselves.
They get installed like this:

APR:
----------
./configure [various options you like here]
make
make install
----------

APR-util:
----------
./configure --with-apr=/where/apr/is [various options you like here]
make
make install
----------

Run ./configure --help to see all the options.

Once you're done with those two, you can build and install httpd in a
similar way:

httpd:
----------
./configure --with-apr=/where/apr/is --with-apr-util=/where/apr-util/is
[various options you like here]
make
make install

Again, run ./configure --help to see all the options.

>    5. So suppose I install apr and apr-util under srclib,
>       will I need to run the Apache configure again?

Yes, that's correct. Given that this runs for such a long time, it would
really be better to do it on the hardware, rather than an emulator.
Otherwise, it may take you weeks before you find out what's going on :-(

--
Bojan