apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jagunet.com>
Subject Re: freezing 1.3 tonight
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 12:45:50 GMT

On May 1, 2008, at 10:34 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Er, except that compiler implementations since K&R1 do implement
> char as signed because that's how the PDP-11 worked.  Portability
> would suck otherwise due to integral types (including char) being
> promoted to a signed integer when used in an integer context.

The above was addressed by Lucian's post, so I won't repeat it :)

> The question is, why on earth would we want to break APR on all
> pre-C99 platforms for which CHAR_BIT != 8 when we don't even
> give a rat's ass how many bits are in a char type?  I still
> don't know why APR would require an int8_t other than char.

'char' must contain at least 8 bits, bit may contain more (which
is what CHAR_BIT is there for). If we are creating typedefs that ensure
a certain bit size, and have 16 and above values, then I can see many
reasons why having a 8bit (*known* 8 bit) typedef would also be
useful.

Not commenting on the patch itself, but rather on the concept :)