apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject [Vote] Disconnecting -lldap from utilizing apr-util
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 14:55:04 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 05:17:00PM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
>> http://people.apache.org/~wrowe/ldap/apr-util-1.x-ldap.patch
>
> As expected, this breaks source compatibility, as defined by the APR
> versioning guidelines.  The fact that you need to patch httpd to make
> httpd continue to build seems like ample demonstration that source
> compatibility is broken ;) So it's 2.x material, and because it's 2.x
> material the DSO stuff is unnecessary, the LDAP code can simply be moved
> into a separate library.

APR makes no contract to export ldap_*, only apr_ldap_*.  The rest are all
assumptions and happy circumstance.  Reasonable people can disagree with
our assertions, so let's vote...

removing -lldap -llber from ./configure --with-ldap builds into a seperate
recoverable ./apu-1-config --ldap-libs flag;

  [ ] Breaks our versioning contract
  [ ] Does not break our versioning contract