apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: sqlite3 dbd provider question
Date Mon, 19 May 2008 20:56:02 GMT
Tom Donovan wrote:
>> And a related question, any prepared statement can be portably used
>> across
>> any of the databases open within the specific provider.  Correct?
>
> In general no. Most databases consider a prepared statement to be
> associated with a single database. This would seldom make sense, but if
> both databases happen to have the same table names and field names, a
> SQL statement could be valid for two databases - so a database vendor
> could choose to allow this.  I think Oracle might allow this - but I
> have never tried it.

Then if we consider this non-portable, the prepared statement cache
certainly should not be a static, but scoped per apr_dbd_t?

I would prefer we /not/ offer dbd specific features, as the hacks around
the initial row offset illustrate we contribute to per-platform hackery
instead of resolving it for the user.

Bill