apr-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Donovan <donov...@bellatlantic.net>
Subject Re: sqlite3 and postgresql
Date Sun, 18 May 2008 01:34:13 GMT
Bob Rossi wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 10:17:34AM +1000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
>> On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 18:29 -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> +1 and I concur with Tom's suggestion w.r.t. a preferred row offset 1.
>> Tom, do you want to fix this one or do you want me to do it?
>
> Aren't you worried about how that will break all the existing programs
> out there using this interface?
>
> Bob Rossi

Yes that's a problem - but as it stands existing programs need to change code to change databases.

I don't think this is a candidate for backporting (for the reason you state) - but it makes
sense to
document a correct way, and to fix it in the next major APR release.

Otherwise, applications would either work with some dbd drivers but not with others; or else
they
must support both 1-based and 0-based row numbers  - which implies a code change for most
existing
dbd applications (like yours...)

A Google code search turns up few applications which use random-access dbd.  Not a guarantee
of
course - but an indication that that this won't be disruptive to a large number of apps if
we do it
soon.

Surprisingly, there is even an app (a nagios add-on) which tries to switch between 0- and
1-based
row numbering; but it does so only for Oracle vs. non-Oracle, not the general case.

-tom-