apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Disconnecting -lldap from utilizing apr-util
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 14:41:54 GMT
Eric Covener wrote:

> +1 on wrapping it all in 2.0, but I don't think the versioning
> restrictions allow apr-util to stop linking against LDAP in 1.3 -- for
> example applications that load ldap symbols privately  ("not at all"
> shouldn't be an issue because they can't do anything useful with the
> apr-util LDAP API in that case).

Be aware that there is a one line change to most applications who want
apr-1.3.x to provide that binding for them (so they can use the symbols
privately).  Simply, this would just no longer be the default.  I think
that's a healthy thing since this affects < 10% of applications that
consume apr-util, and of the others, they would be better off linking
ldap only for specific components, e.g. mod_ldap/mod_authnz_ldap.

Bill